Project Canterbury

















IT will be necessary, in order to have a correct view of the nature of the work among the Melanesian Islands, to classify them.

First--The dangerous; or where risk is incurred in visiting.

Secondly--Those where the natives are in a wild, savage state; but who are acquainted with the Mission vessel, and some advance towards a friendly communication has been made.

Thirdly--Those with whom a friendly intercourse has been established; the parents having committed their children to the Bishop to be taken to spend the summer months in New Zealand for instruction.

My Journal refers more particularly to the last two classes of Islands.

With respect to the first class, the manner of visiting is as follows:--The whale-boat is manned with four good rowers. The Bishop and Rev. J.C. Patteson keep a good look out whilst approaching the island. The natives having previously shewn their willingness for communication by lighting fires and calling. If, as the boat approaches, a part of them retire into the bush with their bows and arrows, and send their women and children away, it is a bad sign--mischief is intended;--but if all remain together, the Bishop and Mr. Patteson generally swim through the surf to the beach, leaving the boat at a short distance--the risk being lest the boat touch the shore, the natives might detain it for the sake of the iron, which they are anxious to obtain. After the party have landed, they distribute fish-hooks, beads, &c., to the chiefs, exchange names, [3/4] write them down, &c. After staying a short time, they swim back to the boat: thus an intercourse is begun. These preliminary visits are sometimes perilous. I know of two instances in which they were shot at--one at Santa Maria, the other at Mallicollo,--but a kind Providence has always kept them from harm.

The second class, some of which I have visited, are to be approached with caution. But very little danger is incurred, although the natives are wild--cannibals--and mostly fighting with one another. They know the Mission vessel, and that Pisopi (i.e. Bishop) is their friend.

The third class are those friendly, which can be visited at any time, and are prepared for Missionaries. In the preceding voyage above sixty islands were visited by Bishop and Mr. Patteson, and about forty Melanesian scholars were brought to the Institution at Kohimarama, near Auckland, for the summer months.

I now proceed with my Journal.

April 28th, 1860.--After the Bishop had commended us to the protecting care of our Heavenly father, we went from the chapel to the schooner, the Southern Cross, a vessel of about seventy tons, admirably fitted up for the boys. Our party consisted of the Rev. J. C. Patteson, Messrs. Kerr and Dudley, members of the mission, myself, New Zealand Native Teacher, school-boy from my station, and thirty-seven Melanesian scholars, viz., six from Solomon Isles, twenty-one from Banks' Isles, four from Loyalty Island, six from New Hebrides.

April 29th, Sunday.--After service on board, we lost sight of the shores of New Zealand at Cape Brett. The wind increased to a gale. All the boys were very sick; but each had his hammock and many comforts on board. The gale continued a whole week, and we were obliged to lie to with close-reafed sails; it was not till

May 7th--That the merry laugh of the Melanesian boys was heard, and that they again ventured on deck. During this gale the sea was running very high, and as I observed an expression of fear on the face of the New Zealand Teacher, I said to him "Nana te moana" ("the sea is His"). These three words were of great comfort during our fearful shipwreck. With regard to the Melanesians, I must say I never met with a more cheerful, good-tempered, happy set of boys; although from several Islands, each of a different language, there was no quarrelling as among English boys. Their love to their Teachers is quite remarkable: I think they would do anything for Mr. Patteson, who speaks the language of nearly all of them.

On May 11th, we fell in with the S.E. trades, and in the evening were 22º 13' E., long. 168º 56', and on Saturday,

May 12th, we were off Nengone, one of the coral islands of the Loyalty Group, where we landed at 8 a.m., and proceed immediately to [4/5] the Mission station of the Rev. Mr. Creagh, of the London Missionary Society, where we received a most hearty welcome. They were in great affliction, having just buried their youngest child. The devoted Raratonga native teacher, Mark and his companion, were the first to carry the Gospel to the degraded cannibals of these Islands. They were protected, under God, by a great chief, who would not give them up to the heathen priests; and after his death, his son Nusohim took care of them. In the meantime the leaven of the Gospel was silently working, and, e'er long, a great number received the truth. About this time the Bishop of New Zealand visited the Islands, and the people desiring a missionary, he sent the Rev. W. Nihill and his wife, who soon acquired a knowledge of their language, and translated a portion of the Scriptures. A large chapel was built, and "the Word of God grew and was multiplied." A short time after this the London Missionary Society sent out missionaries, who, on arriving at Nengone, found that the Rev. Mr. Nihill had been removed by death. His widow remained with them till the return of the Bishop, who has never re-occupied the station, although repeatedly requested to do so. I as much pleased with the congregation here on the Sunday: between 400 and 500 natives were assembled in the chapel, all clothed, and during service the greatest attention prevailed; the singing was excellent, and my heart was filled with gratitude to God, while hearing these so lately heathen, singing the praises of the Triune Jehovah. After service we accompanied Mr. And Mrs. Creagh to their hospitable home. Whilst the service rested on the missionary, which must be very fatiguing, whiles, among the New Zealanders, a part was borne by them, and they enjoyed the responses. My christian friends thought with me that responses would enliven the services, and were better adapted for converts from heathenism. We enjoyed social prayer and communion with each other in a strange land, and at the request of my christian brother, I told 500 natives of Nengone what God had done for New Zealand, he interpreting for me. They were exceedingly interested, and on our leaving we found piled up presents of yams, taro, cocoanuts, &c. Being Sunday we did not like to take them, but left them for the Native Teachers of the Island, who took them away on the following morning. While returning to our vessel more than 500 natives lined the beach, crying "Aloha! aloha!) i.e. Love! Love!) which is also the meaning of the New Zelaand aroha. The Raratonga teachers had taught the Nengonese this mode of salutation. The New Zealand and Raratonga languages are so similar that the New Zealand Teacher could talk with Mrs. Creagh, who was a Miss Bugacott, from Raratonga. What struck me was the great difference at once discernable in the heathen and christian natives as they stood together; the former naked, with painted bodies, and weapons in their hands; the latter clothed, and the countenance altogether different. It is most remarkable how the reception of the Gospel changes and softens a fierce and savage expression. This beautiful coral Island is considered healthy: groves of cocoa nut and other tropical trees render the scenery good, but it is tame when compared with the New Hebrides and Bank's Isles. Temperature about 74º Farn.; length of island, about 20 miles; breadth, 10 miles; population, between 3000 and 4000, two-thirds of whom are [5/6] Christians. There are eleven whites on the island besides the missionaries. We said farewell to our kind friends and called for Lifu Island, about 60 miles north of Nengone, where Christianity has made great progress. It is to be regretted that the French claim these Loyalty Islands as appendages to New Caledonia, and have sent a Romish priest to Lifu, quite against the consent of the majority of the people. The wind was contrary, and blowing a gale; we could not reach the isle, although three attempts were made, therefore, to the regret of all, we were obliged to continue our course without visiting it. We called, however, at the beautiful island Toka, 20 miles from Nengone. Mr. Patteson was anxious to seek a stray sheep, one of the Melanesian scholars, a young man who had not been going on satisfactorily; the lost one was found, and accompanied us to the vessel. Most of the Natives of this Island are well disposed to Christianity. The principal chief of Lifu, "John Cho," had been to New Zealand with the Bishop, who baptized him there as well as the daughter of the principal chief of Toka to whom he was married after their baptism. This union strengthened Christianity both at Lifu and Toka, and John is using his influence to keep the people from Popery. We now sailed for Mai (or the Three Hills), an Island dreaded by the sandal-wood traders, but where the Mission vessel is always most warmly welcomed, and where the Bishop is anxious to form a Station which shall take in many of the neighbouring Isles.

May 16th.--Trade winds light; thermometer 80º. S. Latitude 20º 34" E. Longitude 167º 50". Lightning vivid.

May 17th.--Instead of the trades we had a strong westerly wind. Sighted Erromanga, where the Missionary Williams was murdered. We also passed the S.W. coast of Tate, or Sandwich Island, which has a bad name, nevertheless two Samoan teachers are living here. This beautiful Island is richly wooded to the summit of its lofty hills, which are from 2000 to 3000 feet in height. Fearful atrocities have been committed here by the sandal-wood traders, one of which I will mention:--After purchasing a cargo of sandal-wood and getting it conveyed to the vessel they sailed away without paying the Natives, consequently when another vessel visited the Island one of their men was murdered by the Natives. To revenge this, several vessels joined their crews, and after firing upon the Natives followed them to a cave where they had taken refuge with their women and children. These white savages piled up brushwood at the mouth of the cave, fired it and smothered them all. Can we wonder that they are not willing to receive the white Missionary. The Bishop has landed here several times. In the evening we reached Mai, where we had to leave four Melanesian boys. When we landed, the cry was "the vessel of Pisopa, and our children." We had a most hearty welcome, the excitement was very great, running from the villages, assembling to see their children and the white Missionaries, bringing yams, cocoa-nuts, &c. At last the Chief, by smacking his lips, enforced silence, and Mr. Patteson, in their own language, pointed to the "Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world." Mr. Dudley, who understands the language of Mai, also addressed them; the greatest silence and attention prevailed, [6/7] and when we all knelt in prayer with these poor heathen, who, for the first time, bent the knee to the true God, I could say "My soul doth magnify the Lord and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour"; it was an earnest that these Isles should see the "salvation of our God." The Natives were anxious that one of us should remain with them, and when we told them that possibly a Mission Station might be established among them they were much pleased. At 11 p.m. we reached our vessel; I felt thankful for this happy day.

May 19th.--Sunday services on board, with Europeans and Melanesians, our little schooner ran close to the shore of Tasiko where, with a glass, we counted more than 400 natives, in the short space of about half a mile, who were calling us to visit them, but it being Sunday the boat was not lowered as no one could speak their language, and we feared least any might be tempted to trade on the Sabbath. From Tasiko we crossed to Ambrim (where there is an active volcano), Lupavi, Whitsuntide, and Aurora, islands of from 20 to 30 miles in length. Of the scenery, I can only say the grandeur and beauty of creative goodness here, is overpowering. Never did I witness elsewhere, such a rich verdure, very much superior to Sierra Leone, although its scenery is grand: the most beautiful parts of New Zealand are tame when compared with these splendid islands; the rugged broken character of Whitsuntide and Aurora with their immense chasms, so densely wooded that no naked rock nor spot of earth can be seen, groves of lofty cocoa-nuts, the beautiful bread-fruit tree, the jack-fruit, and palms, lofty and huge banians forty yards in circumference was so magnificent a sight, that we felt sad to think that "only man was vile," but when once the Gospel has won its way, how wonderful the change. Grace and Nature can rejoice together,

"Oh God, Oh Good beyond compare,
If thus thy meaner works are fair--
If thus thy beauties gild the span
Of ruined earth, and sinful man--
How glorious must that mansion be
Where thy redeemed shall dwell with Thee."

As our little vessel ran along the eastern side of Aurora, on a fine moonlight night, we heard the voices of the Natives, and the beating of their tom-toms, over, perhaps, some cannibal feast, which gave a painful and vivid reality of our proximity to the darkness of heathenism. My soul yearned that these our poor benighted brethren might soon rejoice in the beams of the Sun of Righteousness.

May 23rd.--In the morning we landed at the north end of Aurora, and left two of the Melanesian boys. Mr. Patteson addressed the Natives, all of whom were armed, and looked very wild; they were attentive. At 4 p.m. we drew near Mara Lava, an island about 12 miles in circumference, with a population of 600; it consists of a large volcanic hill about 1800 feet above the sea, very beautiful; here we landed two other of the scholars, and again Mr. Patteson address ed the Natives, speaking of the love of Christ, and shewing them that war and bloodshed was wrong, this they all acknowledged; every man and boy was armed with [7/8] bow and arrow; they were rather noisy and clamorous, but when Mr. Patteson addressed them, quite quiet. They wanted the vessel to go to Santa Maria in search of a boy, whom some sandal-wood trader had carried away and left there. They feared he had been murdered and eaten, the poor father was very earnest in his entreaties.

May 24th.--At 6 a.m. we came to the extent of our voyage, Amota, a little Paradise, where the first Mission Station in Banks' Islands was formed; about 8 a.m. we landed, the Natives shewed great joy at seeing Mr. Patteson, and when we began to land the boards for the Mission House, and they knew that he and Mr. Dudley would remain with them their joy was increased; some carried the boards from the vessel, and others brought food of all sorts, bread fruit, cocoas, yams, &c., for which they would not receive any payment. When the house was landed, we sailed over to Vanno Lava, a large and beautiful island only eight miles distant, where the Bishop discovered a short time ago a splendid harbour which he named Port Patteson, here we let go our anchor. The scenery most grand, hills 2000 feet high sending forth volumes of smoke from hot springs at their summit, the sides richly clothed with verdure; two rivers run into the harbour, and a sandy beach nearly surrounds it. We filled our water-casks, these friendly Natives standing anxious to assist. These, and those of Amota, were the only unarmed Natives which we saw. A way for the gospel has been prepared under God, by our Missionary Bishop, and a great work commenced. The people of Vanno Lava were most anxious that one of us should remain with them, and each was invited. This island is decidedly unhealthy. Elephantiasis is very prevalent; there are also many Albinoes. Miasma prevails during the rains when the low lands are flooded. Thermometer in the shade 85º. On Whitsunday we partook of the Lord's Supper on board the schooner, after which, we all accompanied Mr. Patteson to the villages on the beach, where he preached to and catechized the Natives, inviting them also to ask questions; all seemed interested, and again intreated for a Missionary. I believe we all prayed most earnestly that a Pentecostal blessing might be given to these islands; this was a day to be remembered, and which we closed with social prayer.

Whit Monday.--Messrs. Patteson and Dudley crossed in a whaleboat to Amota to see to the erection of the house. The Natives were very anxious to barter, crying "Talle, Talle," i.e., Iron, Iron; another cry was "Sim, Sim," i.e., empty bottles, which they break up and use for shaving. They brought cocoa-nuts, yams, coral, bows and arrows, &c., &c., for sale. The wind springing up, but being light and against us, we had to beat, and it was evening before we could near Amota.

Tuesday, we landed; the house was nearly finished; the Natives had unroofed some of their own houses in order that the Mission house might soon be covered, about 100 of them were at work. I walked alone, to several villages, and everywhere received a welcome and their fruits offered me. This lovely island is equal to Aurora in beauty; from the Mission Station you see five islands--Vanna Lava, Bligh's Island, Vanucollo, [8/9] Santa Maria and Mara Lava; the site of the Mission is well chosen, it is surrounded by bread-fruit, cocoa, and jack-trees, and a hugh banian, which we measured, was forty-five yards in circumference, a most lovely spot and well shaded. Thus I had the privilege of seeing the first Mission station in Banks' island commenced. In the evening, Mr. Patteson preached to the people, who were very attentive. Oh! may the blessing of God descend on the labours of his servants, and the leaven of the Gospel go forth from this place, till all the isles of these seas shall rejoice in the name of Jesus, and the faithful Missionary say,

"I love the name of Jesus,
Immanuel, Christ, the Lord;
Like fragrance on the breezes,
His name abroad is poured."

After mutual prayer, commending one another to the care of God, we said farewell to our Christian brethren. More than half of the Melanesian boys had been restored to their respective islands, the remainder stayed with Mr. Patteson at Amota, as the vessel will not go to the Solomon's Islands till the next voyage. Our party now consisted of Mr. Kerr, my two Natives, and myself. Mr. Patteson requested us to call at Erromanga to see if any of the Scotch Missionaries were in want of anything, or, if out of health, they were welcome to a passage to New Zealand. The Rev. Mr. Gordon, of Erromanga, told me how much he and his brethren felt the disinterested kindness of the Bishop, whom he looked upon as a father in the Gospel. After several days of light winds it was not till

June 6th, Tuesday, that we came in sight of Erromanga, a beautiful coral isle; we ran along its rugged coast, richly covered with trees, amongst others the much desired sandal-wood, which has been the source of so much misery to the poor Natives. One instance, which occurred a few months ago, was related to me by Mr. Gordon. A man named Mears, purchased from the Natives a quantity of sandal-wood; he crossed to Tate, a neighbouring island about fifty miles distant, and procured 200 islanders to accompany him to Erromanga, to carry his sandal-wood to the beach; he did not provide food for them, but told them they must rob the cultivations of the Erromangas. He accompanied them with his musket, they destroyed four or five Villages, and took their food.After some time a large party of Erromangas attacked the Tate natives and drove them from their isle with the European; many lives were lost on both sides. Mr. Gordon assured me that this had hindered the reception of the Gospel; many accustomed to attend the Sabbath and week day services had been driven away, as those Villages which had been destroyed were near the Station. They were now prejudiced against and determined to resist the Gospel. One chief called a feast on the Sabbath in order to desecrate it; mark the sequel, God removed two of his children by death on that Sabbath, he acknowledged the finger of God, and said he could not fight against him. We received a most hearty reception from Mr. Gordon; the hours flew away in social chat and mutual prayer. My Native Teacher told the Erromangas of the progress of the Gospel in New Zealand, which interested them much. Mr. Gordon said that the [9/10] heathen Priests were doing all they could to oppose them, charging them with being the authors of the epidemic which had prevailed there so fearfully, and also at the neighbouring island of Tanna, where the Rev. Mr. Paton, was labouring; he had lost his wife and child about twelve months ago, and as yet he has had no success to cheer him in his lonely labours; the Natives threatened to kill him, nothing softened by the sorrow which they saw he suffered by his bereavement. The Bishop, in his last trip, begged him to come to New Zealand for a change, but he declined, as he said he was getting on with the Tannese language, and he hoped ere long an impression would be made. He had lately been joined by the Rev. N. Heutson and wife. Very different is the account of the work at Aneitum, where the Rev. Messrs. Inglis and Geddie are labouring. This island is a short distance from Tanna, and nearly the whole of the people have received the Gospel. It was nearly midnight, before we parted, being moonlight; our christian brother accompanied us to the scene of the murders of the Missionaries, Williams and Harris, he gave me the following particulars:--Mr. Harris attempted to go inland, which the Natives opposed, as there was some ceremony about to be performed; he thought them friendly because they had given them cocoa-nuts shortly before; he persevered in going, was struck on the head, staggered to the river near the beach where he fell; Mr. Williams hearing his cry, went to see, and was met by the murderers, who threatened him--he fled towards the boat, and was murdered on the beach. The Natives seeing the distressed of the Europeans in the boat were quite softened, and if the bodies had been demanded then, they would have been given up; this is Mr. Gordon's account. The Bishop, with a Samoan teacher, was the first to visit this blood-stained Isle after the murder; when he arrived at the spot they knelt down and prayed that the blood of the martyrs might make a path for the Gospel. We reached the vessel at 2 a.m.

June 8th.--A strong westerly wind with a high sea, wind fair.

June 9th and 10th.--Gale continued. On this day we saw Norfolk Island, but could not land, as we intended, the surf being too heavy. I felt much disappointed, having a great desire to see the state of the Pitcairn Islanders, who have had so much done for them. The gale continuing, we passed the Island, at 7 p.m.

June 11th.--The anniversary of the foundation of the Melanesian Mission; we had special prayer for a blessing upon this great work. We did not forget our friends at Amota.

June 13th, 2 a.m.--Off the Three Kings, nearly a calm. We thanked God for bringing us again in sight of our adopted land.

June 14th.--Very light wind at 4 p.m., whilst off Wangaroa the wind changed to N.E. We could not weather Cape Brett; went out to sea as we feared being too near the land; it had now increased to a gale. All felt dispirited, as we had hoped (D.V.) to have been in Auckland the next day. Dark tempestuous night, gale very heavy.

[11] June 15th.--Gale increasing, a very high sea. Our little vessel was almost under bare poles, rising beautifully to the billows, and shipping but little water. The constant rolling gave me much headache. I felt depressed, but was much comforted by David's prayer, Psalm 6, v. 2. "Have mercy on me O Lord, for I am weak." I felt weak in body and weak in spirit; anxiety respecting my family, gloomy forebodings. Want of faith did not render my situation amidst this gale more comfortable. Great prostration of bodily strength, owing to want of sleep for several nights made me feel really ill. The gale fearfully increased, accompanied by thunder, lightning, rain, and hail; it was a dreadful night. Oh! how delightful to feel safe in a Father's hand.

June 16th.--Rained in torrents, 4 a.m., which caused the sea to go down; and at 12 we were becalmed. 2 p.m., a Northerly breeze sprung up, and we hoped to be in Auckland on the Monday.

June 17th.--Sunday, I had morning service with the sailors, and a service with my Natives. I felt exceedingly oppressed with a sense of impending calamity; my anxiety was respecting my home, and district. I reasoned with myself on the sin and folly of meeting troubles half way, and dishonouring God by unbelief. I felt great comfort from that beautiful verse:--

"Renew my will from day to day,
Blend it with Thine, and take away
Whatever makes it hard to say--
Thy will be done."

which remained on my mind the whole of that eventful day. The wind continued fair, and 4.50 we passed the "Poor Knights." The account of the close of this day I copy from the Newspaper New Zealander, of June 23rd, the following are extracts:--

"At 4.50, we sighted the Poor Knights, having passed close to leeward of them hauled to S.E., in order to pass Eastward of the "Hen and Chickens." About this time the wind backed to the N.E. and increased to a gale, with very thick weather and rain. At 10 p.m., we were surprised by the report of "land on the lee bow"; by press of sail we were providentially enabled to weather a small islet, which, from the course we had made, we supposed to be the Eastern Chicken. We now stood on S.E. by S. intending when half way to Cape Rodney to wear and stand to the Northward, having the harbour of Wangarei under our lee, the wind now blowing a violent gale. At 1 a.m. land on the lee bow. About Patawa River we were to the Northward, the wind shifting S.E. and blowing with redoubled violence soon after we were round. In about half an hour we again saw land on the lee bow, the South Head of Ngunguru bay; standing on we made the Islet at the North Head of Ngunguru bay, the same Islet we had seen at 10 p.m.; the weather being so thick the hills were not visible. Finding we could not weather that Islet, the helm was put up to pass to leeward; having against lost sight of land, thinking we had accomplished our purpose, the ship's head was brought up to North, we then took the ground on [11/12] what appeared happily to be a spot somewhat sheltered from the full violence of the sea--the range of our vision being the end of the breakers. Imagining deep water to be beyond them, and with the rising tide the ship being gradually brought nearer, we were alarmed lest we should be carried right over and founder in the deep water beyond, for in less than half an hour the surf had completely filled the ship, and we were all obliged to take to the rigging. The masts most providentially not having been cut away, although repeated attempts had been made to do so. The boats were soon washed away, and with them our last hopes of getting to the shore, and from 2 a.m. till daylight we remained at the mast's head in the most dreadful suspense. As day dawned we discovered we were in a bay, and near the high water of its low sandy shore, which the darkness of the gale prevented our seeing; we were also gladdened by the sight of European houses. By nine o'clock the tide had so far left us that we were enabled to get a line to the shore; and through the mercy of God, after seven hours in the rigging, we were all drawn through the surf safely to land. We received a hearty welcome and every kindness and assistance from Capt. Stewart and his guests, and the Europeans at Ngunguru. The gale had now somewhat abated. We would beg to call attention to the following remarkable Providences in answer to prayer, any one link wanting all must have perished. While all was being done on deck that men could do to keep us from a lee shore, I called my Native Teacher Taniora into the cabin and we engaged in prayer, my prayer was that "as our blessed Saviour had manifested His power in saving His disciples from shipwreck in the sea of Galillee--His hand was not shortened that it could not save, nor His ear deaf that He could not hear. That it would not please Him to appear in our behalf and save the lives of all in the vessel." Now mark the answer--First, If the wind had not shifted to S.E. we should have been on the rocky beach to the north of Patawa. Secondly, When the sea was making a clean breach over the deck, had the masts not been standing to fly to, nothing could have saved us; the reason why the masts were not cut away was, that the captain having for some cause laid down the axe, it was not again to be found; further, when the captain and mate with knives in their hands were about to cut the lanyards some unaccountable feeling prevented them, which was no doubt the finger of God in answer to prayer. Thirdly, If we had grounded a quarter of a mile further northward we should have been on the rocks of the Ngunguru river. In conclusion, we would earnestly beg the attention of your readers to the fact that our gracious God manifests a special Providence to the answer of Prayer. It is not in vain to trust in Him."

(Signed) B. Y. ASHWELL,

I have only to mention a few additional particulars. When the ship struck, all the seamen cried "We are lost, farewell Sir." Mr. Kerr came into the cuddy and said "we must trust in God, nothing more can be done." In a quarter of an hour after striking, the cuddy filled, and we were up to our waists in water. We now went to the main cabin which we were soon obliged to leave, for a sea broke over us, extinguishing the lights and [12/13] filling the cabin. We feared being swept off the desk, but went forward and got a little shelter under the lee of the anchor; we were, however, soon obliged to take to the rigging. My own mind was calm, much strength and comfort was imparted from the hymn,

"Just as I am without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
Oh Lamb of God I come.

Just as I am and waiting not,
To rid my soul of one dark spot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
Oh Lamb of God I come.

This I begged all to use as a prayer, and repeated it aloud, reminding each one that our time in all probability was short. I was so cold that it was with difficulty I held on to the rigging; Mr. Kerr helped me greatly; we both felt the privilege of Christian communion, particularly under such circumstances; after again speaking to the seamen a silence of three hours ensued, when I spoke a few encouraging words to my poor Natives. Oh! how welcome was morning light. Taniora was the first to try to get a rope on shore, but the drawback from the ebb tide was so strong that he was glad to swim back to the wreck. After waiting another hour, the tide had gone out so far that he, with one of the sailors, again tried and succeeded. Thus, through the mercy of God, we were all saved. We all knelt down on the beach and thanked God for our wonderful deliverance. After remaining two days at Ngunguru we went overland to Wangarei, where we were kindly received and welcomed by R. H. Aubrey, Esq., Resident Magistrate; the next day, June 22, we sailed in the "Janet" for Auckland, where we arrived at 11 p.m. Nothing could be kinder than the manner in which we were received by our Bishop, who was thankful that all our lives were saved.

June 29th.--I arrived at my Station.

1st. The object of this journal is to make known the progress of the Gospel in these seas, and to entreat the prayers of all interested in Mission work for its success.

2ndly. To declare the goodness of God in our deliverance from shipwreck, and to solicit subscriptions to repair the loss this Mission has sustained in the wreck of the vessel.

Taupiri Mission Station,
Waikato River,
New Zealand.

Project Canterbury