Sketches of Church Life in Colonial Connecticut
Being the Story of the Transplanting of the Church of England into Forty Two Parishes of Connecticut,
with the Assistance of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel
THE first church built in Stratfield 1748. The first rector was the Rev. Philo Shelton, ordained by Bishop Seabury in 1785, the first to receive Episcopal ordination in this country. His rectorship extended from 1785-1824.
The first church building in Bridgeport was erected in 1801. The present building, built 1873, is the fourth of the parish holding. No records of Colonial days apart from the story of the church in Southport are now extant.