Project Canterbury

Church in the Colonies.

A Journal of Visitation through the South-Western Portions of His Diocese
by the Lord Bishop of Nova Scotia,
in the Summer and Autumn of 1844.

London: The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, 1848.


Halifax, January, 1845.


THE season assists in reminding me that it is now my duty to make known to the Venerable Society the religious condition of those portions of their widely extended charge, which, by the mercy of a gracious Providence, I have been enabled to visit during the year that has just passed away.

I would willingly save you from the weariness which a daily journal can hardly fail to create; bur knowing no other method equally plain and simple. I must venture to pursue the beaten track, and, again throw myself on that indulgent kindness which, has long been extended to me.

The lateness of the spring, and the unfavourable State of our roads at that season, before the injuries from severe frosts, and the violence of our winter torrents have been repaired, are great impediments to early travelling in this part of the world; and I was discouraged from beginning my summer's work till we had passed the middle of the month of May. On Sunday, May 19th, 1844, being the Sunday after the commemoration of our Lord's Ascension, I drove to Margaret's Bay, twenty-two miles, but not without some difficulty from broken bridges. I was rejoiced to find 300 persons assembled at the parish church, although many distant members of the congregation were kept away by showers of snow and rain, which made them fearful I might not be able to keep my appointment. After a sermon, which I intended to assist the candidates for Confirmation in profiting by the exemplary attention which had been given to them by their zealous pastor, the Rev. John Stannage, to prepare them for the full benefit of this holy rite, forty-five persons were confirmed, upon whom I endeavoured to impress the importance of cherishing the humble and devout affection, with which they seemed to regard the solemn engagements they now voluntarily renewed. The whole congregation appeared to listen with much attention; and seeing before me a few of the aged, who would recollect my first visits to them more than thirty years ago, I called their remembrance to the early condition of the Settlement, that they might feel the demand which was made upon them to profit by advantages then unknown, but now fully enjoyed. The narrative was simple. The first visit was for a secular object: but when I saw so many families as then occupied the shores of this Bay, living without God in the world, slaves of lust and drunkenness, and unbridled violence, all other objects gave way to a desire for some improvement in the religious and moral condition of a rapidly increasing population. Many of the people expressed anxiety for better things; and in my early Sunday visits a multitude would walk many miles to meet me on the road, and more would assemble to listen to me than any house in the place could contain. On one of these occasions twenty-two children were brought to Baptism. Measures were soon taken for the erection of a church; and although its progress at first was slow, it was completed, and the present Missionary was ordained within its walls. Under his care Sunday-schools have been established; a second church is well advanced towards completion; and a third will soon be in hand. Although there is much still to be done, yet by the blessing of God a very happy change has been effected, and abundant encouragement imparted to perseverance in the good work. Well may we take courage, and thankfully go forward, in humble reliance upon continued blessing.

The first efforts to plant the Church in this Bay were warmly encouraged by a wealthy settler, who, deprived of all means for instruction in early life. had not learned to read. He had brought up a large family, and was able to assist them all. His feelings were soon engaged, and no one rejoiced more than he appeared to rejoice in the prospect of religious improvement. He stated his intention, as soon as the church should be built, and a Missionary obtained, to erect a little building close to the church, that he and his aged wife might be cheered in their last days, by all the instruction and consolation of the Church. These objects, though never assisted by him to the extent which his means and apparent wishes led every one to expect, were happily accomplished; the house of God was erected; the minister of God had his dwelling there; when the prospect of increased advantage, from a new fishing establishment, led him to build in a situation far remote from the church and the Missionary. He thus added to his worldly store; but for this, he gave up all the benefits which the neighbourhood of the church would have yielded to him; and the consolations to which he had looked forward were not enjoyed. He has passed away--his property has been scattered; and little of it remains in his dispersed family. A very slight allusion to this case, and with all possible tenderness, appeared to make a deep impression upon the whole congregation. Happy will it be for many, if, through the mercy of God, they shall be led to make a right estimate of the relative value of things temporal and things eternal.

The first history of Margaret's Bay is very similar to that of numerous other settlements, whose present condition resembles the early state of this more favoured station; nor can this truth be told, without prompting an earnest prayer, that through the goodness of the Heavenly Master, the hands of the Society may be greatly strengthened for much progress in the great work entrusted to them, and in many fields which are still lying waste, though in the most pressing need of immediate cultivation.

Trinity Sunday, June 2.--I held an Ordination in Christ Church, Dartmouth, when the Rev. John Herbert Bead, of St. John's, Cambridge, and Philip James Filleul, of King's College, Windsor, A.B., were admitted to the Order of Priests, and Mr. Henry Fitzgerald Russell, of King's College, Fredericton, A.B., and Mr. James Stewart, of King's College, Windsor, A.B., to the Order of Deacons. The church was well filled, and I endeavoured to make all sensible of the value and importance of the solemn setting apart of persons to the sacred ministry, in the manner appointed by the Lord, and ever since maintained in his holy church. I afterwards administered the Lord's Supper to the. Clergy and thirty of the parishioners. In the afternoon I drove six miles to the chapel of St. Peter, at the South East Passage, in the same Mission, where 120 persons were assembled. Mr. Russell read prayers. I baptized an infant after the Second Lesson, when tin sponsors seriously and audibly replied to the solemn questions that were put to them. In addressing the little flock from the pulpit, they appeared deeply affected, when I alluded to my first meeting them ii a crowded school-house, and called their attention to their altered condition, and the new obligations which it laid upon them. I was glad to find the chapel neat, and in good order. The excellent Missionary, the Rev. George Morris, bears testimony to the regularity of attendance upon the public worship, and the seriousness of many in this portion of his extended flock.

Sunday, July 7, 1844.--Several causes contributed to my detention in Halifax until this date. Among them was the opening of a new Cemetery. All the burial places within the city were so filled, that it became necessary to obtain new and more extensive space for the dead, and accordingly a large field was provided. As our congregation was partially mingled with others, and particularly with that of the Church of Scotland, by intermarriages, there was a desire to have one burial-place in common for all Protestants, and I had been requested to consecrate the whole together. I considered this liable to objection, but consented to consecrate a general burial-ground, after separate portions should be secured for the exclusive use of the parish churches of St. Paul and St. George, in which none other than the Clergy of the Established Church should officiate. This day was accordingly appointed for the purpose. Appropriate services were performed, and sermons preached in the two parish churches; and immediately after the afternoon service, the weather being remarkably fine, the largest assemblage of people ever seen in Halifax were within the fence of the Cemetery. The allotment of ground for St. Paul's was first consecrated, then the allotment for St. George's; and immediately afterwards the portion allotted as a common burial-ground for all other Protestants. I was happy in believing that this arrangement gave very general satisfaction, while it secured to our own exclusive use a sufficient space for our own congregations. It was thought that more than 6,000 persons were present on this interesting occasion.

Thursday, July 11.--I consecrated St. John's Chapel, in the parish of St. George, three miles distant from the parish church, and beautifully situated on the shore of Bedford Basin, at the confluence of five roads. There is a village in its neighbourhood occupied by the descendants of Germans, who were invited to Halifax at its first settlement. These had been crowded out of the parish church, which was too distant for their regular attendance. These families, and many others, who had no church-room, are now happily supplied with it. The building is also in the neighbourhood of several inns, which are the favourite resting-places of farmers, who cannot get away from the town in the earlier part of the week; and some of these generally form a part of the congregation. Much credit is due to the zeal and perseverance of the Rev. Fitzgerald Uniacke, in originating and completing this good and useful work, which has been kindly assisted by the two great Church Societies in England, and our own little Church Society, as well as by a general contribution. It is well finished, and an ornament to the neighbourhood. I preached on the occasion to 350 persons within the building, and to many without, who could not find room within. An adjoining church-yard, given from the glebe of St. Paul's, was also consecrated.

Friday, July 12.--I drove to Windsor, (forty-five miles,) and lodged at the comfortable parsonage, with the Rev. Alfred Gilpin.

Saturday, July 12.--I drove early in the morning to what is called the landing-place, in Horton, (thirteen miles), and there embarked in a little schooner for Parrsborough, twenty-five miles. The weather was fine, and the Basin of Minas still as a mill-pond; but having no wind, we were far from our port when night overtook us. We anchored in deep water to save us from being carried by the tide, into the Bay of Fundy.--The master of the vessel, being aware of my engagements at Parrsborough, made every effort to get there. I wrapped myself in my cloak, and lay on a locker, until the master informed me it would be impossible to get the vessel into our port, and recommended my attempting to get there in a boat, by rowing five miles, telling me that if we could pass a particular point by a given time, we might reach a safe landing-place; but if the tide should sweep us past that point, he would pick us up in his vessel. We succeeded in our attempt, and at the dawn of day, on

Sunday, the nth of July, we landed, but more than half a mile from the village of Parrsborough. whither we had to carry our luggage, by hand, as no persons were moving at that early hour. The Rev. Robert Arnold had secured very comfortable accommodation for us, at a neat lodging-house, in which be had apartments. An hour's sleep was quite a necessary refreshment. Soon after 10, Mr. Arnold drove me to the parish church, two miles distant from the village, but conveniently placed for the scattered congregation. The church, which will contain 300 persons, was completely filled. After the Second Lesson, I baptized three adults, to whom Mr. Arnold had given very commendable attention, the effect of which was manifested by their deep seriousness. For their especial benefit, and for the general instruction of all before me, I endeavoured to explain the nature and character of the early Church, as exemplified in their stedfast continuance in the Apostles' doctrine and fellowship. I confirmed twelve persons, whom I addressed in reference to the solemnities of the day; and the whole congregation in reference to their duty towards the Church. After a very short rest, we proceeded through a beautiful country, seven miles, to a little: chapel, on Diligence River, in the direction of Cape Chignecto, on the shore of the Bay of Fundy. The chapel was intended for the accommodation of 100 persons, but more than 150 were crowded into it, while many remained at the door and windows. Immediately after the Second Lesson, and previous to the baptism of six adults, I endeavoured to meet some weak objections against Confirmation, which had been raised in this neighbourhood, in consequence of ignorance of the plain meaning of the; Catechism. These adults had shared largely in Mr. Arnold's careful attention, like those at Parrsborough. I preached on Confirmation; confirmed twenty-two persons, whom I addressed; and afterwards gave an exhortation to the whole congregation, who appeared very attentive. The heat was painfully oppressive, and sometimes I feared that I should break down. I was thankful, however, to be enabled to get through my work, but so heated, that I was afterwards thoroughly chilled in driving back to Parrsborough, nine miles, where we did not arrive till after 8 P.M.

Monday, July 15.--A rainy morning, which was occupied in giving some necessary information, that was earnestly desired, respecting the management of the affairs of the Church, by the Messrs. Ratchford, whose attention to her welfare is most praiseworthy. In the evening we had service in a little chapel that was built by the late Mr. Ratchford, but not appropriated exclusively to the Church, although her claim to its use takes precedence of all others. Plausible reasons are sometimes urged for the erection of such common chapels, in poor settlements, seldom visited by any minister; but it generally happens that, sooner or later, inconvenience arises from such common property. Sometimes dispute ensues; and very generally, neglect to the building, which, belonging to all, is the especial charge of none--and thus we often find it desirable to retire from any concern in it, if we are not elbowed out of it. My experience has, therefore, led me to discourage the members of the Church from having part in such buildings, and to recommend, as more in unison with Church principles and practice, the erection of the humblest edifices for ourselves, even if they should be no better than the wicker-work churches in the parent kingdom, when the Church of the Redeemer was first planted there. I baptized one adult. An instructive sermon was preached, and I finished with the Confirmation of five persons, and an address to these first, and afterwards to the whole congregation, which occupied us till 10 o'clock.

Tuesday, July 16.--The weather continued fine, which gave us a fair prospect of reaching Windsor in our packet; but the tide failed us six miles below Windsor, which is thirty miles from Parrsborough. We therefore landed in Falmouth, and obtained a waggon, which conveyed us in good season to the end of our day's journey.

Wednesday, July 17.--I was glad to have this day at my command, and devoted it to several objects at Windsor, visiting the College, and sundry members of the Church.

Thursday July 18.--Mr. A. Gilpin drove me twenty miles on my road to Chester, which is thirty-seven miles from Windsor. Dr. Shreve and his churchwardens, with other members of his flock, met me on the road, and attended me to the parsonage, where, as I had often been before, so now I was very comfortably domiciled.

Friday, July 19.--The people began to assemble from all points, and by various means of conveyance, both on land and water, before 9 o'clock. At 11, more than 500 persons were in the church. I baptized an adult, whose desire for this holy rite was quickened by a melancholy accident, in the last winter, and cherished by the faithful teaching of his pastor. He was in the forest, in keen pursuit of a moose deer, when he fell--his gun was discharged by the shock, and shot his brother, who was a short distance from him, in the head, so that instant death ensued. In the sorrow which, though it overwhelmed him, was sanctified, he was led to desire the consolation which can be found in the ark of Christ's Church. His baptism, under these circumstances, which were well known to all the congregation, created a very deep and solemn attention. I endeavoured, from the pulpit, to assist right views of the Church, in which such comfort can be obtained for the mourner. After this, seventy persons were confirmed. Many of them seemed greatly affected. Among them were two females whose father's corpse was yet unburied. He had been dead two days. They had looked forward for some time to the holy renewal of their most serious engagements; and although it required more than ordinary control of their feelings to present themselves with due composure for Confirmation, they could not bear to lose the opportunity now offered, lest another might not be found. All around them seemed to share in their deep feeling, when I afterwards endeavoured to encourage their humble, but confiding trust, in Him who has made the widow and the fatherless, who repose upon his mercy, the objects of his especial care and loving-kindness the scene was solemn, and its peculiar stillness seemed to give evidence that its influence was felt and blest. Within three years, 230 persons have been confirmed in this church, all of whom are members of Dr. Shreve's flock. The church is in excellent order--all its services are well performed--to the conduct of the congregation is very becoming. On the present occasion none seemed wearied, although our engagements occupied three hours. The singing is very pleasing and edifying. The Sunday scholars are numerous, and the school retains its high character. Several of the parishioners met us in the evening, at the parsonage.

I could not reflect upon the change which I have been permitted to witness in Chester, us in many other places, without emotion. I remember it without church or minister, and when the most sanguine could not have hoped to see it in its present happier condition. But there is here also, as in many other places, where, by God's blessing, the holy influence of the Church is manifested, cause for deep regret--regret that while many openings for the extension of such influence surround us, we have neither inch nor means sufficient for the work which invites an affectionate attention. At the present moment, two additional labourers could be most usefully employed and indeed are urgently required, within the limits of Dr. Shreve's Mission. In the parish books at Chester I found the name recorded of every individual who has been confirmed there; a practice which I strongly recommend in every part of the diocese, as the information it supplies assists the present Missionary, and will aid each one who may succeed him, in finding the members of his flock, and pressing upon them, as occasion may require, all their holiest engagements.

Saturday, July 20.--After a wet morning I set out, accompanied for some distance by Dr. Shreve and several others, for Mahone Bay, (eighteen miles), Here Mr. Cochran, the Society's Missionary at Lunenburg, and Mr. Filleul, their Missionary at this place and for parts of the surrounding country, and a congregation of 150 persons, were waiting for me at the church, as notice had been given for service at 3 o'clock. The church is in good order; and much gratitude was expressed for the attention which had been given to the flock here, by the very valuable services of Mr. Cochran, and for the increased opportunities for profiting by the ordinances of the Church which Mr. Filleul's recent appointment now afforded. I endeavoured, from the pulpit, to impress upon attentive hearers the increased obligations which an increase of privilege laid upon the faithful and consistent members of the Church. An aged and exemplary member of our communion, the mother of a large family, many of whose members were settled in this neighbourhood, had just departed from the world; and the notice of her approaching funeral, of which I endeavoured to make use, assisted in giving increased solemnity to our employment. After the service, I drove Mr. Cochran to Lunenburg, seven miles, and was most comfortably provided for in his parsonage.

Sunday, July 21, 1844.--An interesting day--600 persons, at the least, were crowded into the church of Lunenburg, at 10 o'clock. Although I had been able to confirm in this church for several years in succession, the untiring and affectionate zeal of the Missionaries searched out many candidates, who were yet unconfirmed, and he devoted himself to their fit preparation. I preached on the subject, and he afterwards presented to me thirty-nine persons, of serious deportment, to whom, after the laying on of hands, I offered an exhortation, designed to lead them, and all around them, to faithful continuance in well-doing, that their walk might be worthy of their solemn profession. Every thing before and around me was calculated to encourage my efforts on their behalf; all things here are done decently and in order. The demeanour of the congregation was very becoming, and the solemn stillness which should characterise the house of God prevailed. The singing, too, was very creditable. The officers of the church offered every mark of respect and attention to the office and the person of their Bishop. In the evening I confirmed three persons, one of whom had anxiously sought for Confirmation on four several occasions, and was four times disappointed. I endeavoured, from the pulpit, to engage all in most serious efforts to discharge their solemn duty to God, to his Church, and to their own souls, by right employment of all the means which are mercifully placed within their reach. Mr. Cochran's Sunday-schools continue to receive his earnest attention, and yield him great comfort in return.

Monday, July 22.--A very hot day. I left Lunenburg, accompanied by the sheriff of (he county and churchwarden for my guide, and by several other persons. Mr. Cochran and Mr. Filleul were detained till a late hour, by the funeral at Mahone Bay. We proceeded to New Germany, thirty-three miles, of which twenty miles were peculiarly rough and uncomfortable; but the scenery was beautiful, as our course was on the bank of a noble river, the La Have, which passes through several fine lakes, whose shores are close to the road, and receives many tributary streams, a portion of which we crossed. Our drive, for many miles, along this river, was through a forest of oak, which is not common in Nova Scotia. My lodging in this first Episcopal visit to New Germany, was in an unfinished cottage of a Church family, who made me very comfortable. They occupy a farm of their own, which has been reclaimed from the forest, by the labour of the father and two boys, his sons (for he had no means for payment of any other assistance); but he has contrived to contribute sixty days' labour, all he had to give, to the building of the church, which he cordially loves. He has been afflicted with trials, and has found rich consolation in the ministry of the Church. He has thus received much at her hand, and therefore he loveth much. This worthy member, and many other of the settlers, are from Wilmot, and other parts of the county of Annapolis. The number of families exceeds seventy; and half of these belong to the Church. The cultivation of this forest commenced only ten years ago; the soil is fertile; and as the habits of the people are temperate, frugal, and industrious, it has a very fair prospect, with God's blessing, of increased prosperity. Mr. Cochran is entitled to much credit for his great attention to this people, and showed wisdom, as well as zeal, in his efforts, through many difficulties, to effect the building of a church, which is beautifully placed on the bank of the river, where it issues from a fine lake.

Tuesday, July 23.--After some heavy showers, we drove three miles to this church, or rather chapel, which is within the parish of Lunenburg, and found 350 persons assembled. It was consecrated with its burial-ground, and named The Chapel of St. John in the Wilderness.

The service was as interesting as it was novel to the assembled flock, who appeared deeply interested in all the services of the day. My sermon had reference to these services, including Confirmation. Twenty-two persons were presented by Mr. Cochran and Mr. Filleul, for this holy rite; and in a subsequent address, it was my endeavour to lead all who heard me to a right appreciation of the privileges brought to their settlement, in this its infant state; privileges which few new settlements have enjoyed in the first years of their history. All gave me their earnest attention; and it is not unreasonable to hope that the words then spoken may not have been without a blessing to save them from being spoken in vain. We were three hours in the chapel; and then we were obliged to hasten on our journey from this interesting people, that we might pass the worst of the road before the close of the day. I must not omit to mention the gratitude which was felt by this simple-minded flock for the assistance they received from the two great Societies at home, and the Church Society here, and the contributions of kind benefactors in various places, at the solicitation of Mr. Cochran. It is well that, by God's goodness, such aid was obtained; for, although the poor people did all they could in labour, and the partial supply of materials, money is so little known among them, that a single pound was all that the settlement could raise for an object so dear to them, as building the house of God. Mr. Cochran was compelled to return to Lunenburg, but Mr. Filleul accompanied me to New Dublin (nearly thirty miles from the chapel at New Germany), where we arrived at 10 P.M., after losing our way in the night, on the bank of the river. I had heard of the beauty of the Falls of the La Have; and while our horses were feeding, before sunset, I could not resist the inclination to see them, though it gave me a very fatiguing and difficult walk. The heat of the day was so extreme, and parts of the road were so rough, that nay skin was chafed, for the first time in my various travelling, on my elbows and hips. Mr. Weeks, the Missionary at New Dublin, who met me at Lunenburg, but was unable to proceed to New Germany, rode some miles to meet us; but when night came on, he thought we had been discouraged from attempting to pass some steep hills and broken bridges, which the darkness concealed from us; and, not being well, he returned. We found him, however, looking out with some anxiety at his gate, before we were aware that we were in the neighbourhood of his dwelling, and when we were desirous to see some person who might direct us on our way. His house afforded me very comfortable accommodation. I ought not to have omitted the mention of a fact, which speaks much for the united zeal of the people at New Germany. They enclosed their burial-ground with a neat fence, in the short space of five hours, that it might be consecrated with the chapel, which is within it.

Wednesday, July 24.--We had a service in New Dublin, which was pretty well attended; and I endeavoured to make the congregation feel the great injury they bring upon themselves whenever they neglect to improve any of the advantages which the Church places within their reach; and I dwelt on this the more, because through some misapprehension, there were no candidates for confirmation in this church, and the attendance upon the public worship is not so constant and regular as it ought to be. In the evening we crossed the river, which is here a mile in breadth, and made a visit to the Misses Aitkin, daughters of the Society's late Missionary at Lunenburg, who have a comfortable cottage on the left bank of the river.

Thursday, July 25.--We drove twelve miles to Broad Cove, on the sea-shore, where Mr. Weeks, who accompanied us, has a very interesting portion of his flock. Here a neat and sufficient chapel has been recently completed, at comparatively small expense, not much more, perhaps, than 200l., but not without great and long-continued exertions of the poor people who have erected it, with some aid from the Society. A few excellent families, warmly attached to the Church, have been particularly distinguished in this good work; and to these, more than ordinary joy was imparted on the present occasion. Their little chapel was crowded by nearly 250 persons. It was consecrated, and named after St. Mark. My hearers listened with fixed attention, while I endeavoured, in a familiar manner, to explain the nature and objects of our employment on this day, and the duties to which it should awaken their untired and affectionate attention. They seemed so seriously impressed by the solemnity of the service, and its fitness for the occasion, that it was impossible for any person to witness this impression without sharing in it;--at least, I felt it to be so. The honest joy which all the people whom we could contrive to visit, exhibited when we entered their houses, and the warm manner in which the women surrounded Mrs. Weeks, who was with us, gave evidence of affection, which it was delightful and encouraging to behold. We were for a short in the houses of many of these people, all of whom were anxious that we should partake of their dinner. We could only sit down at the plain table of the patriarch of the place, whose name is Smith, and we evidently gave him much gratification. Mr. Moody, the Society's Missionary at Liverpool, met us here, and assisted in the duties of the day. Mr. Weeks left us now, to return to New Dublin, and Mr. Filleul was obliged to return to Mahone Buy; but Mr. Cochran and Mr. Moody attended us to Liverpool (eighteen miles from Broad Cove), where we arrived at the close of the day, after a short visit to a daughter of the Church, at Mill Village, which lay in our road. I was rejoiced to find Mr. Weeks, who for some years has suffered from pulmonary complaint, and compelled to relax the exertions which he made when his strength was unimpaired, much better than he had been, and able generally to officiate twice on each Lord's day, and to congregations twelve miles asunder--once at New Dublin, and alternately at Broad Cove and the western shore of the La Have, twelve miles below New Dublin. He is a pure-minded and strict and exemplary Clergyman.

Friday, July 26.--Part of the morning was occupied by receiving sundry members of the Church. who kindly called to offer a welcome to their Bishop. Soon after twelve, Mr. Moody and Mr. Cochran attended me to Western Head, only four miles distant; but the road was so rough that I was glad to pass over part of it on foot, and for the remainder I exchanged my seat in a carriage for a saddle-horse. Seventeen families are settled here on a very exposed shore of the ocean, and all but one belong to the Church, and attend her worship in Liverpool. Many of the men were away, engaged in their calling as fishermen; but more than fifty persons met me, in a comfortable school-house, and were serious and attentive, while I addressed them, at the close of the service, on the solemn object of our present meeting, the consecration of a burial-ground in their settlement, where near and dear relatives of some who were with us had been very recently buried. The gathering of such little flocks in the neighbourhood of the parish or mission church, is a very interesting and encouraging portion of the Missionary's labour. The poor people seldom fail to appreciate his concern for them, and repay it with affection. We dined at Mr. Moody's, where, as on former occasions, I found a very comfortable home, and in the evening I preached at Liverpool, chiefly in reference to the power still permitted to the enemy of souls, as recently exhibited in a very awful case of piracy and murder, which had excited great and universal interest in all parts of the province, and for which four unhappy men were now under sentence of death at Halifax. I thought it a fit occasion for urging the great necessity for the sincere and promised renunciation of this evil agent, and all his fatal influence, by every candidate for Confirmation.

Saturday, July 27, was chiefly allotted to Eagle Head or Beach Meadows, nine miles from Liverpool, where nearly 150 persons met me in the little chapel, which had been consecrated in one of my former visits. It is not easy to find a more affectionate flock than has been gathered in this place, and they afford constant joy and encouragement to their excellent Missionary, who is full of thankfulness to God for the comfort he derives from his ministrations among them. This flock, from a small beginning, has already increased to fifty families, and seems likely, by the Divine blessing, to continue to increase, as the children are numerous, and are brought up, by the teaching of the Church, in the nurture of the Lord. Already the chapel requires enlargement; I was rejoiced to find the materials for this good and necessary work already collected on the spot; and could not fail to encourage the people in their labour of love. The rubrical order--the general response--the universal kneeling--were subjects for delight and praise to God. I confirmed thirteen, although many of this little brotherhood were confirmed two years ago, and I had much comfort in my effort to encourage their steadiness and stedfastness, and to cheer them in their holy course.

Sunday, July 28.--A lovely day, for which we were very thankful. Both pews and aisles in the church at Liverpool were filled by more than four hundred persons, and some who wished to be with us could find no room. Since my last visit, two years ago, this church has been enlarged and greatly improved; and if an opinion might be formed from this day's assemblage, still more accommodation will soon be required. Every thing is in excellent order. The organ and singing are very engaging. I confirmed twenty-eight persons, whose deportment was very becoming, and I had pleasure in addressing them with much seriousness. I also preached on the various objections and excuses which prevent or interfere with such frequent communion as the early followers of the Saviour were accustomed to enjoy. I then assisted in administering the Lord's Supper to eighty-six communicants, not more than half of the number of those who now belong to us in this mission. Only twenty years have elapsed since the number of communicants hardly exceeded ten; and when the erection of a church was suggested, a little building, used for a small fire-engine, was named as likely to be large enough to contain all who would desire to attend the services of the Church. Surely here is cause for thankfulness and praise. In the evening I preached again to a large congregation, and at the request of their excellent Missionary, I endeavoured to impress upon this portion of his flock the importance and advantage, to every household, of the pleasing and necessary duty of family worship.

Monday, July 29.--I left Liverpool, accompanied by its valuable Missionary, for Shelburne, forty miles. We stopped twice on the road, and were met at the River Jordan, seven miles from Shelburne, by the Rev. Dr. Rowland, the late, and the Rev. Mr. White, the present Missionary, who were accompanied by the churchwardens and several other members of the Church. We found the road much. improved, finished our journey before the close of the day, and were comfortably accommodated at the house of the Rev. Mr. White.

Tuesday, July 30.--We had a service in the church at Shelburne at eleven. The church, though entirely of wood, and built fifty-four years ago, is in excellent condition. The work was well executed at first, and good care has been taken of the building since. Nearly 300 persons were assembled, who listened attentively to such instruction as I was able to offer from the pulpit. I then confirmed forty-two persons, for whose right instruction much praiseworthy endeavour had been made by their Clergymen. As usual, I addressed the whole congregation,--the confirmed, to increase the earnestness of their endeavours to adorn the doctrine of their Saviour, to which they were now pledged; the rest, to remind them of the obligations that were upon those who should show the fruits of a ripened faith, and be ready to fulfil every duty which the condition of our Church now laid upon them, The remainder of the day was chiefly occupied in visits, and particularly to the widows of the Church, some of whom had clear recollection of the first landing of the first settlers, loyalists from New York, in 1783. One of these had been married by my father, then rector of that city. Two hundred persons met us again at the church in the evening whom I endeavoured to encourage in a life of Christian consistency. Mr. White has given commendable attention to a Welch settlement in the neighbourhood of Shelburne, where he finds it difficult to make himself understood when preaching, but has the comfort to find that all his little flock easily understand the Liturgy.

Wednesday, July 31.--We went by water four miles to the Western Shore, attended by several boats, well filled, and a little schooner crowded with more than fifty persons, and twelve well-packed carriages, went by a longer route. The little chapel, which bears evidence to the most creditable exertions of the poor people, and was aided by the Societies I have already named, was consecrated, and having been raised on Easter Monday, was named The Chapel of the Resurrection. It was greatly crowded by a flock whose happiness appeared complete; for only a few years ago they had little hope that they should possess a suitable building for the pure worship of God. The success, under Him, is to be attributed to great exertions by the exemplary Missionary, Mr. White, and to a primitive zeal among the people. Every thing used in the building was carried by the men up a long and steep hill, and one poor man contributed eighty days' labour for the accomplishment of the work. I endeavoured from the pulpit to encourage their perseverance in faith and holiness, in every good word and work. I then confirmed nineteen of this little flock, whom I had pleasure in addressing. Here, as in many of the retired settlements in Newfoundland, when I first visited them, the people crowded around the altar, after the service, that they might take the Bishop's hand, and receive his parting blessing. I took leave of those friends who had accompanied me from Shelburne, and of the Rev. Mr. Moody, who had kindly attended me from Liverpool; and then proceeded with the Rev. Mr. White to Harrington, twenty miles. The road much improved.

Thursday, August 1.--Barrington is an extensive and populous settlement, where most of the people, indeed all, with few exceptions, are Dissenters, and many of them have been so from its first settlement. Others perhaps only because the Church has not been able to reach it. A few of the inhabitants rejoice in the opportunity, which Mr. White affords them, as often as his other duties will permit, to profit by her scriptural services and apostolic ministry; and others kindly regard these endeavours of Mr. White. A large congregation was assembled in a meeting-house, which is common property, but a majority of the proprietors are Presbyterians. I addressed the whole upon the importance of continually seeking the aid and the protection of the Holy Spirit, as the only security against the wiles of sin and Satan. No congregation could listen with more attention. I afterwards administered the Lord's Supper to eight devout communicants, who gladly embraced this opportunity for showing forth tin-Lord's death. It was a comfort to me to learn that although our members here are few, they are consistent and exemplary. After the service, Mr. White proceeded with me to Pubnico, thirteen miles, through some heavy showers, which had been threatening us the whole morning. Here I found Mr. Avery, the Society's Missionary at Yarmouth, had been kindly waiting for me some time with a covered carriage, in which he drove me rapidly twenty-one miles to Tusket, where a very comfortable lodging had been provided for me. The churchwardens, sheriff of the county, and several members of the Church, drove some miles on the road to Barrington to meet us, which was the more kind as they were exposed to a heavy rain. Mr. White arrived in my own open carriage about an hour after us, but very wet.

Friday, August 2. Tusket is a beautiful village near the mouth of a river, which bears the same name. In its neighbourhood there are many families of Acadian French, who all belong to the Church of Borne. The Protestant settlers were chiefly loyalists from the United States, at the close of the Revolutionary War, and many of these were members of the Church. But they enjoyed so little of the ministry of the Church, that many of their children and descendants became careless and forgetful of her, and some left her communion to join Dissenters. It is a happy circumstance that now a church has been erected in which many of the people take much interest, and that their affection for their spiritual mother is reviving. Mr. Avery has made much exertion for this good object; and it was matter of regret to me that although the church is well and substantially built, it was not finished in the interior, and therefore-could not be consecrated. The burial-ground, which was well enclosed, was solemnly set apart from profane use. Nearly three hundred persons were assembled. I confirmed nineteen of these (to whom Mr. Avery had given much attention) after preaching in explanation of a rite which was a novelty in this place; and in a subsequent address I pressed for perseverance for the completion of the church, and zeal in adorning her, by Christian love and a holy life; impressing these by a reference to the solemnity of setting apart the grounds in which the bodies of those who listened to me ere long would be laid. All were attentive, and among them were a few French Romanists. I was encouraged to hope that those who, from the long want of pastoral care, had forgotten its blessing, or strayed from the fold, may yet be called back through the mercy and loving-kindness of the Heavenly Shepherd. Several hours were spent in visiting the aged members of the Church, to whom this was a day of comfort, and then we proceeded to Yarmouth, ten miles, where Mr. Avery's house supplied me with a very comfortable lodging.

Saturday, August 3.--The morning was devoted to the members of the Church in Yarmouth, and at four o'clock we had a meeting of the Church Society. but not a satisfactory one, owing to some misunderstanding which has prevailed, and neutralized its operations. I shall hope, however, that the difficulty may be removed. This was the more mortifying as no members of the Church in this province persevered in their duty while members of S.P.C.K. more than those at Yarmouth.

Sunday, August 4.--More than three hundred persons assembled in the church at Yarmouth at eleven, I baptized an adult--preached; confirmed forty-eight, and addressed them. The congregation were very still and attentive. Among those confirmed were an aged couple, of whom the younger was seventy-six years old; a sister of one of these, who is an exemplary member of our communion, spoke with much affection of my father's ministry at New York, where she had been a member of his flock, and was confirmed by him at Shelburne in 1790. After the morning service I visited the Sunday-school, containing one hundred children, and endeavoured to encourage them, and the exemplary teachers, whose attention has been very praiseworthy, and very valuable, for many years. The school-room is a very convenient building, and the property of the Church. I preached again in the afternoon, and endeavoured to enforce the duties which all the members of the Church should feel bound upon them, not as a burthen, but as a privilege and a delight. The enemy has sown some seeds of division among the flock in this place, but if they can be united in holy love, they will be as respectable and happy as any congregation in the diocese.

Monday, August 5.--After an early call upon two members of the Church, one of whom had arrived from England in the preceding night, Mr. Avery drove me to Bear River, thirteen miles, where my own carriage was waiting for me, and after taking leave of Mr. Avery, I proceeded without any stop, to Mettingen, fifteen miles, in the extensive French settlement of Clare, which occupies the greater part of the left shore of St. Mary's Bay, to the extent of thirty miles. I found Mr. Snyder, the Society's Missionary at Weymouth, waiting for me at Montagau, and proceeded at once for Weymouth, twenty-two miles. On our way we made a visit to the venerable Abbé Sigogne, a French emigrant in the Revolution of 1790, who, at the age of eighty-two, is now performing the duties of a parish priest to a flock of French families, who number 5000 souls. He received us in his church, and conducted us to his vestry-room, in which he now lodges, for the convenience of attending to his flock, although his parsonage is near. The French make no alteration in their language, dress, habits, agriculture, or farming stock and utensils, and are, therefore, in all these respects exactly where they were two hundred years ago, when their ancestors emigrated from Normandy and Bretagne. They are, however, contented and happy, and a frugal and moral people. and have long had a treasure in their amiable and accomplished Abbé. (He has died since my visit to him, and his place can hardly be supplied.) The churchwardens of Weymouth came some miles to meet me, and attended me to the parsonage, where I was kindly and comfortably accommodated. (Unhappily the building has since been seriously injured by fire, in which the barn and stable belonging to it were consumed.)

Tuesday, August 6.--A lovely day. Mr. Harrison, the Society's Missionary at Portland in N. B., and Mr. Bullock, their Missionary at Digby, came to us at an early hour. I baptized two adults in the church at Weymouth, who were brothers, and three children of the same family. Mr. Bullock preached a very instructive sermon on Confirmation, and I confirmed sixteen persons, whom I addressed at some length. The remainder of the day was occupied in visits to members of the Church, with especial regard to the widows, and sick and afflicted. Among these was a widow who was sad at being disappointed a second time in her desire to be confirmed; when a former opportunity occurred, she was attacked by acute rheumatism, and now she was confined to her room by a severe attack of erysipelas. It was my endeavour to minister to her comfort under her disappointment. The churchwardens and several parishioners were with us at the parsonage. Nothing can be more happy than the feeling which appears to exist between the Missionary and the members of the flock; but, unhappily, they do not fulfil their engagements for his support.

Wednesday, August 7.--More than sixty persons accompanied me in a little vessel to Prince William, or, as it is more commonly called, Sandy Cove, five miles distant, and on the North side of St. Mary's Bay, on a long point of land, or promontory, nearly forty miles in extent, called Digby Neck. The church, at Prince William is a neat building, and Beautifully placed on an eminence, which commands a fine view of St. Mary's Bay, and in the immediate neighbourhood of lofty hills covered with wood, which rise abruptly behind it, and afford a most comfortable shelter from cold winds. The promontory at this place is little more than half a mile wide, which makes this shelter from the storms of the Bay of Fundy very valuable. This little church of The Nativity was crowded, and many who could not find entrance remained at the door and windows. The building and surrounding church-yard were consecrated; and six persons, of mature age, and of serious deportment, were confirmed. In a sermon and subsequent address I endeavoured to secure some veneration for all these solemn services, and to make them profitable to all who heard me. The history of the whole settlement on this extended neck of land is similar to that of many other settlements in various parts of these Colonies. It was chiefly occupied at first by members of the Church, many of whom were loyalists, but not being within reach of the Church, the love of many waxed cold. The young were unhappily brought up in ignorance, of what she teaches. Some have subsequently joined different sects; and some are without the name of religion; we may hope a brighter day is beginning to appear, and that by God's goodness the future may be more full of comfort than the past. Mr. Bullock's untired efforts for their well-doing maybe relied on; and no Missionary who may be able to reach them will fail to lend his help in furthering their spiritual and eternal welfare. The services occupied us a long time, and I could not omit to speak words of encouragement, collectively and individually, to all who had been most distinguished in promoting the erection of the church. This delayed us, but the water was smooth as a mirror, and we were at Weymouth again, after an interesting day, as the sun was setting.

Thursday, August 8.--We proceeded nine miles from Weymouth, accompanied by many of Mr. Snyder's flock, to his little chapel near the head of St. Mary's Bay, called the Bay Church, or more, properly chapel, and consecrated some years ago. I preached on the Holy Eucharist, endeavouring to answer the objections, and expose the pretences, which lead to the common but dangerous neglect of it. Twenty-four were partakers of the Lord's Supper, and four of these for the first time. We then proceeded nine miles to Diyby.

Friday, August 9.--Waggons were in motion as early as six o'clock, that they might make two trips, and carry two sets of passengers to the new chapel at Greenville, better known as Marshall Town. The building was painfully crowded, and not less than 100 persons were on the outside. Of these a group was formed near the window of the chancel, which was open; these were uncovered, knelt on the grass, made all the responses, and joined in the singing. Mr. Bullock's energy was taxed to the utmost to provide seats for the aged and females, but many of the latter were left at last at the outside of the building. The chapel, St. Paul's, was consecrated. An excellent sermon was preached by Mr. Harrison; the prayers and lessons having been read by Messrs. Snyder and Godfrey, the Society's Missionary at Clement's. After half an hour's rest, the afternoon service was commenced, and few left us, though some had many miles to travel in various directions. I baptized five well-prepared adults,--preached on all the solemnities of the day,--confirmed seventeen persons, whom I also addressed,--and finally consecrated the church-yard as a place of burial. Many of those present expressed their thankfulness and joy, when, after the services, they took me by the hand; and similar feelings were expressed in a more formal address, which was presented to me by the principal members of the congregation. The Clergy dined with me at my lodgings in Digby, in the house of Miss Totten, the great benefactress of the Church there. Mr. Harrison received my blessing, and embarked in a steamer for St. John in the evening.

Saturday, August 10.--The officers and members of the Church Society called upon me, and presented an address. As they included the churchwardens and most of the vestry, I entered fully into the pecuniary embarrassments of the congregation, created chiefly by the building of their parsonage, and lying like an incubus upon all the efforts which the other wants of the parish required. I gave them the best advice I could offer, and they led me to hope, with some confidence, that the burthen should be removed by some strenuous exertion. The feeling seemed to be all I could wish. I visited here as in other places in the day, and until a late hour in the evening.

Sunday, August 11.--At ten I went to the Sunday-school, in an excellent building, the property of the Church; 110 children were present. Many of the teachers have been brought up in the School, which has long sustained a high character, and is most creditable to those who have been engaged in it. The children are well and intelligently grounded in the Catechism, and thus are taught by the Church. None other than a communicant can be a teacher. I addressed the whole with many words of encouragement. At eleven, the Church of Digby was well filled. In my sermon, I endeavoured to show the value of the Church's institutions, and administered the Lord's Supper to ninety-six communicants. In the afternoon the congregation was quite as large as it had been in the morning. I baptized two adults; one of these had been confirmed at a former visit, erroneously supposing that he had been baptized in infancy. He was greatly shocked when he discovered his mistake, and now corrected it with much seriousness. I preached on Confirmation; confirmed forty persons, whom, as usual, I addressed, and then appealed to the whole flock on the necessity for their efforts, even at much personal sacrifice, if necessary, to meet the difficulties of their present position. The Church here is in a healthy state, and certainly advancing. Several individuals who were, not long ago, trustees for building a Dissenting meeting-house, are now among our communicants.

The corner-stone of the church was laid by my father, July 30, 1788.

Monday, August 12.--Mr. Crowley, one of Mr. Bullock's kind parishioners, sent me in his packet schooner to Moose River, in the village of St. Clements, (twelve miles,) and the Clergy and forty other persons from Digby accompanied me. The Rev. Edwin Gilpin, the Society's valuable Missionary at Annapolis, and Mr. Jarvis, his assistant, and the Rev. W. M. Godfrey, the Missionary of Clement's, met me on the shore, near the parish church of Clement's, to which we proceeded without delay, as the congregation was assembled. Here I went through my usual course of duty, and confirmed ten persons. This fine settlement has not yet recovered from the ill effect of being nearly half a century, without a resident Missionary, during the whole of which time his attention to the people would have been valuable; but, unhappily, the same may be said of more than fifty other settlements. We may now hope for better things. Much has been done since Mr. Godfrey's undivided attention has been given to this Mission. He has three churches to serve, and is obliged to officiate in out-stations besides. I was rejoiced to find him in a neat and comfortable little parsonage, the building of which was a praiseworthy achievement of the parishioners. It is beautifully situated near the church, on the right bank of Moose Elver, and in the midst of romantic scenery. After dining here with several of the Clergy, Mr. Gilpin drove me to Annapolis, eight miles, in the evening. Our conversation turned upon a striking fact. I accompanied my father in 1788, when he made his first visit to the county of Annapolis, which then included the present county of Digby. In the whole extent of the undivided county there was but one church, a poor building, and in decay. There are now, within the same space, no less than nineteen churches, all in good order, and most of them very neat and well finished buildings; a subject surely for much thankfulness and praise.

Tuesday, August 13.--I set out at an early hour, accompanied by the Clergy, and many others, for Perrot, only seven miles from Annapolis, but in the midst of extensive forest. Here Mr. Gilpin has gathered an exemplary little flock, who add much to his humble joy and thankfulness. When their chapel was consecrated, in a former visit, I promised the congregation to go to them again, as soon as due preparation should be made for a Confirmation. This promise was always in their view, and perhaps, under the Divine blessing, assisted the endeavours of their Missionary; such at least was its object. The result has been happy. He presented thirty-six of this little flock for the laying on of hands, and their serious and most becoming deportment increased the comfort of encouraging them in all holy conversation and godliness. I endeavoured to do this both from the pulpit, and by an address from the altar. We returned to Annapolis in good season for an afternoon service there; where I had to repeat the same exertions, and confirmed twenty-six candidates, with whom much pains had been taken. The singing in this church is very engaging.

Wednesday, August 14.--Rosette, which may perhaps be called an extended village, on the post-road to Halifax, and six miles from Annapolis, has also engaged much of Mr. Gilpin's attention, and the fruit of his labours, in this part of his charge, has, by God's goodness, amply repaid him. A very neat chapel has been completed, and a surrounding burial-ground enclosed. The site is beautiful, commanding a fine view of the Annapolis River, and its fertile valley; and bounded by a steep range of hills called the North Mountain, and extending from the extreme western point of the province at Brier Island, to the basin of Minas, at the head of the principal branch of the Bay of Fundy, a distance of nearly 130 miles. 250 persons were crowded into the little, chapel; and more than fifty, for whom no room could be found within, were gathered round the windows, excluding the air, and adding to the heat, which was oppressive. The chapel, (named St. Paul's,) and the burial-ground, were consecrated, and twenty-two persons were confirmed. My sermon and address had reference to these three services; and although the congregation included many of various views in religion, the attention of all was given to every part of the services, although they occupied three hours. The members of the Church appeared to be full of thankfulness. The Rev. J. Robertson, the Society's Missionary at Bridge Town, met us at this place; and when the services of the day were concluded, he kindly drove me to Bridge Town, where I overtook my carriage, and drove to my cottage at Clermont, thirty-eight miles from Annapolis. I hope I was not unmindful of the mercies that had been vouchsafed to me during my Visitation, nor wanting in thankfulness to the great Head of the Church, by whose blessing this small portion of it is evidently advancing in its growth, and we may humbly hope in godliness also.

Sunday, August 18.--While at Clermont, which is in the Mission of Aylesford, I am always glad to enable Mr. Owen, the Society's excellent Missionary there, to visit his most distant stations, some of which are forty miles from him. On this day I took charge of his church, and he was at the eastern end of Dalhousie and at Grinton, settlements in the depth of the forest, and in the direction of Nero Germany, in the Mission of Lunenburg, already described.

Tuesday, August 20.--Having promised to meet the congregation at Windsor (forty-five miles), to assist their exertions for the erection of a chapel of ease, I proceeded thither this day; and on

Wednesday, August 21, we had a very satisfactory meeting of the parishioners. All difficulty respecting a site (a difficulty continually occurring, and not always easily overcome), was here removed at once by the liberality of Mr. Justice Halliburton, whose residence is in Windsor. As soon as the fittest spot was determined upon, he purchased it at an expense of more than 70l., and presented it to the parish. This being happily accomplished, Mr. Alfred Gilpin, the Missionary at Windsor, kindly drove me fifteen miles towards Halifax (forty-five miles), and after driving fifteen more my family met me, and thus I reached my home, after six weeks of constant work, and journeys over more than six hundred miles.

Wednesday, Sept. 11.--I went to Windsor to attend the Encomia of King's College, and lodged with the President, the Rev. Dr. M'Cawley.

Thursday, Sept. 12.--Entirely occupied by the business of the College, where there were ten competitors for a vacant Scholarship on the Foundation. The examinations, therefore, engaged us for several hours. All the boys at the Collegiate School were also examined. Lord Falkland, with several others of the Governors, the Officers of the College, all Graduates, and the Clergy and Magistrates of Windsor, were at the College Dinner. Sir James Stuart. Bart. D.C.L., one of the early alumni, and now Chief Justice of Quebec, was at Windsor in the morning, en route for Canada; but, unfortunately, he was compelled to proceed by the weekly steamer to St. John, which left the river in the morning, and so we lost the pleasure of his company on our public day.

Friday, Sept. 13.--I was shut up in the College till 4 P.M. attending to persons who had buinj to engage me; but I gave two hours to sundry visits.

Saturday, Sept. 14.--The earlier part of the morning was occupied in a long walk, through places which were favourite spots more than fifty years ago, since which time I had not seen them, until now. The President was my companion in this romantic ramble, in which I recognised many objects, once very familiar, and a few remarkable trees, though much of the wood had undergone great change. We also made a visit to the Rev. Mr. Dunn, who had been dangerously ill, and was still in a very weak state. He was for many years the Society's Missionary at Grand Manan, and is now their Missionary at Douglas, in New Brunswick. In the afternoon the President and Mr. Gilpin accompanied me to Newport (twelve miles) by a new and very beautiful road, on the left bank of the St. Croix River. We dined and slept at the Rev. Richard Uniacke's, the Society's Missionary at that place.

Sunday, Sept. 15.--A very warm day. We had a crowded congregation at the church at Newport-I baptized five adults; preached; confirmed fifty persons, and addressed them, and all before me, who appeared serious and attentive. In the afternoon Mr. Uniacke baptized four interesting motherless children, belonging to one family. I preached upon the general duty to the Church, and upon the claims of the Church Society. Though I suffered from the heat, I was full of thankfulness for comfort in the duty of this day, and for the improving condition of the Church in this place. Mr. Gilpin was sent for, to baptize a sick child, on the road to Windsor, which deprived us of his company, and of the President's.

Monday, Sept. 16.--Mr. Uniacke accompanied me to Lakelands, thirty miles from Halifax, on the Windsor road, fifteen miles from Windsor, and ten miles from Newport. A church is to be erected here, and the Honourable Mr. Jeffery, a large landed proprietor in the neighbourhood, who will be the chief contributor to the building, allowed me to choose the site, which he will immediately secure to the Church. The convenience to several settlements, in different directions, was to be consulted; but the point is satisfactorily determined, and the building will be conveniently and very prettily placed. Mr. Daniel Wier, of Newport, who takes great interest in this undertaking, though the church will be five miles from him, accompanied and assisted us. In the evening I returned to Halifax, where I had promised to hold an ordination.

Sunday, Sept. 22.--I had an early service in St. Paul's church, at Halifax, when the Rev. Arthur Wellesley Millidge, of King's College, A. B. was admitted to the Order of Priests, and Edward Elisha Budd Nichols, of King's College, A.B., to the Order of Deacons.

In the month of October I was again at Aylesford for a short time, and enabled Mr. Owen to be absent for two Sundays in his distant stations.

Saturday, Nov. 16.--When I visited St. Margaret's Bay in the spring of the year, many persons, whose residence is many miles distant from the church, were prevented from meeting me. They are obliged to come part of the distance on the Saturday, but on that occasion the Saturday preceding the day of Confirmation was a day of storm and rain; and thus the poor people were disappointed, as was their Missionary, for whose comfort, I promised, if I should be able, to make a second visit to his Mission before the winter. On this day I fulfilled my engagement, and drove twenty-two miles to St. Margaret's Bay, and lodged comfortably at a little inn, three miles from the parish church, and two from a new chapel, which is in good progress. Mr. Stannage dined with me.

Sunday, Nov. 17.--Favoured by a fine day, I walked over a rough road to the chapel I have named, on Boutilier's Point. The building was well filled, and among the congregation were several aged persons, whom I was accustomed to meet in my first visits to this bay. Some of these were deeply affected on the present occasion, and all my hearers were attentive. After preaching, I confirmed twenty-one of them, and addressed them seriously, and afterwards reminded all of the exertions which they were bound to make, even if they should call for personal sacrifice, for the completion of their chapel, and the support of their Missionary. I have reason to hope, in all humility, that the words did not fall on barren and unprofitable ground. The administration of the Lord's Supper closed our employment.

Monday, Nov. 18.--I returned to Halifax, having finished my summer journeys for 1844. In the course of these journeys, I was enabled, by the goodness of God, to consecrate seven churches or chapels and ten burial-grounds, to baptize twenty-six adults, to hold twenty-three confirmations, at which 581 persons were confirmed. I was attended by more than 8,000 hearers, to whom I delivered fifty-nine sermons or addresses. I held two ordinations, at which three divinity students were admitted to the Order of Deacons, and three deacons were admitted to the Order of Priests. I travelled 1,000 miles; and episcopal acts were performed for the first time in seven separate places.

This review can raise no feeling of self-satisfaction. Less has been accomplished than I earnestly desired to effect: and less than I have been accustomed to accomplish in the space of a year. But I am thankful, very thankful, that strength has been spared to me, at my present time of life, to continue my poor endeavours in the work in which I have been long-engaged. My heart is filled with gratitude that I am permitted to witness a continual spreading of the Church on every side of me, which could not be if the blessing of the Lord were not forwarding the holy, happy work, which no human means, without such aid, could possibly effect. There never was a time, humanly speaking, in which more could be accomplished, with that blessing, than the present, if our great want of more labourers, and only moderate support for them, could now be obtained. I am aware of the great exertions of the Society, still daily increasing, to procure these men and means, and of the multiplication of their missionaries, and. benefactions and subscriptions, even beyond the hope of former years, to extend their pious engagements to every quarter of the world. But we live in times when every onward movement requires some new and extraordinary stimulus; and, great as our wants may be, if our true condition could be realized by those, in the parent country, who would, with one spirit, and with one mind, strive together for the faith of the Gospel, and for the extension of the Redeemer's kingdom wide as the limits of the world, there would be no want of means for the full spread of that blessed empire to the north and to the south, to the east, and to us also in the west, until all the nations of the earth, now ready for their call from darkness into light, and listening for the whispers of the Spirit of the Lord, shall be brought within the fold of the Heavenly Shepherd, and he made meet to be partakers of everlasting light and life and glory, in the mansions of the Most High.


Project Canterbury